Studying in Australia
Australia offers a great education for its own population, but also for international students. Many students coming to Australia find that the country’s educational institutions give them great flexibility to choose a study path that suits their specific goals. This is because there are simply thousands of courses on offer.
Choosing a course
It does not matter which subject you choose – you will always be able to get a high quality, unique education in Australia. The country’s educational goals have long included new, creative and independent ways to approach diploma and degree courses. These include non-academic skills, like learning teamwork and effective communication, as well as practical life skills and academic abilities needed for later career success.
What to study
You should decide on what career you want after your studies are finished, and then study this subject. You should only undertake studies in the field that you intend to work in once you graduate. Australia’s government recommends that you do not pick your subject just with the intention of immigrating to the country. Australia’s student visa application process is completely different from the skilled migration program, so you cannot be sure that you’ll eventually be offered a skilled migration visa just by choosing a degree course that matches one of the jobs on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL). Instead, go for what you are really passionate about.
Skilled Occupations List (SOL)
Australia’s government has devised a migration program that ensures the country’s labour market’s needs for a valuable, productive, skilled immigration population can be met. As the requirements change quickly, the skilled migration program is also constantly adjusted. This list, the Skilled Occupations List or SOL, details all the occupations that are currently in demand in Australia. They are divided into four groups:
- Managers and administrators
- Associate professionals
- Trades persons and related workers
The SOL list constantly changes according to the shifts in Australia’s labour market, so there is no guarantee that a job currently on the SOL will still be there when you finish your studies.
Health and fitness studies
Currently, students wanting to study physical education in Australia have the opportunity to complete a great qualification and also get a chance to live in Australia and see what the country is really like. Australia has a several good universities and TAFE providers that offer a tremendous variety of sports, fitness and physical education degrees and diplomas, from the Certificate to Advanced Diploma level onwards.
- Students can now get a Certificate or a Diploma in Fitness at TAFE, which effectively gets them to work as personal trainers or coaches. This kind of a Certificate or Diploma takes 12 to 24 months to complete and the study program is full time.
- International students may also choose from Australia’s universities, which offer a wide range of degree courses and allow students to specialize by subject. Courses are available both at undergraduate level and also for postgraduate qualifications, for example a BA in Exercise or Health Science. Degree programs such as these take about 3-4 years to complete and give students an excellent, specialist basis for a career in exercise of fitness.
How to apply
Students must be 18 years of age to be able to study in Australia. The Visa will only be grated if the study program is full-time. Students also need to study hard and an attendance record of at least 80% of lectures or classes is required. The application process to study in Australia has a few steps:
- Students need to apply for a Student Visa. This is done by first applying onto a diploma or degree course. If this application is successful, then the student will receive what is called an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE).
- Students then need to take the eCOE to an Australian Embassy or Consulate (or Visa office). There, they will begin the official visa application process.
- If the Visa is granted by Australia’s Department of Immigration and Citizenship, then the application has been successful.
Creating independent thinkers
Australia has a tradition of getting people to think outside of the box. Students are always asked to use their own initiative and teachers will encourage them to come up with their own solutions to problems. Students who have completed their diplomas or degrees in Australia find that international employers respect their qualifications greatly, because of these factors.
Australia’s education system has a solid reputation abroad. It is best known for its framework and original, creative policies and development. Several other countries that have wished to improve their educational systems have asked Australia for advice, when restructuring their own systems.
Life in Australia
Studying in Australia can be a rewarding experience for international students. The country offers a high quality of life, and it is a dynamic and friendly country that embraces multiculturalism and innovation. This in turn allows students to study in a good learning environment and grow through experience. For those looking for a quality education in a great place, Australia is an excellent choice.
Entrepreneur and enabler, Tuhin Ghosh has been pursuing his dream of enabling business and catalyzing growth mainly in the education industry. He is the Co -Founder of PrepGenie, a test prep provider that offers exam preparation courses for GAMSAT, PCAT, HPAT, UMAT and UKCAT to aspiring medical students globally.